Jan. 2021: Congratulations!
Zhang’s group is awarded
$500,000 from NJDEP to work in partnerships with MERI and BRISEA Inc.
Explore the Nano World
Sep. 2020: Congratulations!
Dr. Zhang's group received two EPA Phase I Awards.
Sep. 2020: Congratulations!
Dr. Zhang' received an new NSF Grant.
Wen's Research Group
Phone: (973) 596-5520
Fax: (973) 596-5790
Office Location: Colton Hall 211
Find us on the map:
(See the complete list at )
1. Wen Zhang, Chapter 2 of “Nanomaterial, Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology” (Editors: D.G. Capco, Y. Chen), DOI 10.1007/978-94-017-8739-0_2, © Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2014.
2. Jianzhi Huang, Wen Zhang*. Water splitting for H2 production using visible-light-responsive photocatalysts. Technical Proceedings of the 2013 NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Expo, NSTI-Nanotech 2013. Volume 3, 2013, Pages 584-587.
3. Wen Zhang and Yongsheng Chen. Experimental Determination of Conduction and Valence Bands of Semiconductor Nanoparticles using Kelvin Probe Force Microscopy. TechConnect World 2012 Conference Proceeding. Santa Clara, California, June 18-21, 2012.
4. Wen Zhang and Yongsheng Chen. Effect of Nanoparticle Size on Adhesion Force with E. coli Cells. TECHCON 2010 Technology and Talent for the 21st Century Conference Proceedings. Austin, Texas, Sep, 13–14, 2010,
5. Xiaoshan Zhu, Xuezhi Zhang, Wen Zhang, Yung Chang, Hu Qiang, and Yongsheng Chen. Potential Toxicity of Nanomaterials and their Removal. Proceedings of the Chicago International Environmental Nanotechnology Conference: Applications and Implications Oct. 7–9, 2008
1. Wang, Xinjie, Yang Li, Jian Zhao, Xinghui Xia, Xiaonan Shi, Jiajun Duan, and Wen Zhang. "UV-induced aggregation of polystyrene nano plastics: Effects of radicals, surface functional groups and electrolyte." Environmental Science: Nano (2020). https://doi.org/10.1039/D0EN00518E
2. Chunzhao Chen, Ling Chen, Yang Li, Wanyi Fu, Xiaonan Shi, Jiajun Duan, Wen Zhang*, Impacts of Microplastics on Organotins’ Photodegradation in Aquatic Environments, Environmental Pollution, 2020, 115686, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2020.115686.
3. Fangzhou Liu, Likun Hua, Wen Zhang, Influences of microwave irradiation on performances of membrane filtration and catalytic degradation of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), Environment International, Volume 143, 2020, 105969
4. Yang, Lin; Zhang, Haiyang; Cheng, Shaozhe; Zhang, Wen; Zhang, Xuezhi. Enhanced Microalgal Harvesting using Microalgae-derived EPS as Flocculation Aid. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering. 2020. DOI: 10.1021/acssuschemeng.9b06156
5. Wanyi Fu, Jiacheng Min, Weiyu Jiang, Yang Li, Wen Zhang. Separation, Characterization and Identification of Microplastics and Nanoplastics in the Environment. Science of the Total Environment. 2020. 137561
6. Zhang, Yanhao, Yuchen Wang, Haohan Zhang, Yang Li, Zhibin Zhang, and Wen Zhang. Recycling Spent Lithium-ion Battery as Adsorbents to Remove Aqueous Heavy Metals: Adsorption Kinetics, Isotherms, and Regeneration Assessment. Resources, Conservation & Recycling. 2020: 156, 104688
7. Xiaonan Shi, Qingquan Ma, Taha Marhaba, and Wen Zhang*. "Probing Surface Electrochemical Activity of Nanomaterials using Hybrid Atomic Force Microscope-Scanning Electrochemical Microscope (AFM-SECM)." Journal of Visualized Experiments (JoVE) (2020), e61111.
8. Qiao Wang, Peng Wang, Peng Xu, Yang Li, Jiajun Duan, Guangshan Zhanga, Limin Hu, Xiaojing Wang, Wen Zhang. Visible-light-driven photo-Fenton Reactions using Zn1-1.5xFexS/g-C3N4 Photocatalyst: Degradation Kinetics and Mechanisms Analysis. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental. 2020. DOI: 10.1016/j.apcatb.2020.118653
9. Shaobin Sun, Hong Yao, Wanyi Fu, Shan Xue, Wen Zhang. Enhanced Degradation of Antibiotics by Photo-Fenton Reactive Membrane Filtration, Journal of Hazardous Materials. 385,2020
10. Hua, Likun; Cao, Han; Ma, Qingquan; Shi, Xiaonan; Zhang, Xuezhi; Zhang, Wen*. Microalgae Filtration using Electrochemically Reactive Ceramic Membrane: Filtration Performances, Fouling Kinetics and Foulant Layer Characteristics. Environmental Science & Technology. 2020. DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.9b07022
11. Wang, Shuo, Yunsi Liu, Pan Li, Ying Wang, Jinshui Yang, and Wen Zhang. "Micro-nanobubble aeration promotes senescence of submerged macrophytes with low total antioxidant capacity in urban landscape water." Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology. 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/C9EW00929A
12. Shi, Xiaonan, Weihua Qing, Taha Marhaba, and Wen Zhang. "Atomic Force Microscopy-Scanning Electrochemical Microscopy (AFM-SECM) for Nanoscale Topographical and Electrochemical Characterization: Principles, Applications and Perspectives." Electrochimica Acta (2019): 135472.
13. Yang Li, Xinjie Wang, Wanyi Fu, Xinghui Xia, Changqing Liu, Jiacheng Min, Wen Zhang,* and John Charles Crittenden, Interactions between nano/micro plastics and suspended sediment in water: Implications on aggregation and settling. Water Research. Volume 161, 15 September 2019, Pages 486-495
14. Chen, Chunzhao; Chen, Ling; Yao, Ying; Artigas, Francisco; Huang, Qinghui; Zhang, Wen. Organotin Release from Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Microplastics and Concurrent Photodegradation in Water: Impacts from Salinity, Dissolved Organic Matter and Light Exposure. Environmental Science & Technology. 2019, 53, 18, 10741-10752
15. Wanyi Fu, Wen Zhang*. Chemical aging and impacts on hydrophilic and hydrophobic polyether sulfone (PES) membrane filtration performances. Polymer Degradation and Stability. 2019 DOI information: 10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2019.108960
16. Weihua Qing, Xianhui Li, Senlin Shao, Xiaonan Shi, Jianqiang Wang, Yong Feng, Wen Zhang, Weidong Zhang. Polymeric catalytically active membranes for reaction-separation coupling: A review. Journal of Membrane Science,2019:583, 118-138
17. Wanyi Fu, Wen Zhang. Measurement of Surface Wettability of Engineered Nanoparticles using Atomic Force Microscope. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 20 (2018): 24434-24443.
18. Yifei Wang, Wanyi Fu, Yuxiang Shen, Appala Raju Badireddy, Wen Zhang, and Haiou Huang. Hyperspectral imaging of acetaminophen on multi-walled carbon nanotubes. Langmuir. 2018. DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.8b02939
19. Wanyi Fu, Wen Zhang. Microwave-enhanced Membrane Filtration for Water Treatment. Journal of Membrane Science. 2018. DOI: 10.1016/j.memsci.2018.09.064
20. Sun, Shaobin, Hong Yao, Wanyi Fu, Likun Hua, Guangshan Zhang, and Wen Zhang. Reactive Photo-Fenton ceramic membranes: Synthesis, characterization and antifouling performance. Water research. 2018. 144 (1): 690-698
21. Wanyi Fu, Lan Wang, Fangjuan Chen, Xuezhi Zhang, Wen Zhang. Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Ultrafiltration Membrane Fouling and Defouling Behavior: EDLVO Theory and Interface Adhesion Force Analysis. Journal of Membrane Science. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2018.07.020
22. Wen Zhang*, Yang Li, Changqing Liu, Taha Marhaba. The Inhibitory Effect of Graphene Oxide on Photocatalytic Hydrogenation from Organic Fatty Acids. Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy. 2018. DOI: 10.1002/ep.12989
23. Ahmed Khaled Abdella Ahmed, Xiaonan Shi, Likun Hua, Leidy Manzueta, Weihua Qing, Taha Marhaba, and Wen Zhang. Influences of Air, Oxygen, Nitrogen, and Carbon Dioxide Nanobubbles on Seed Germination and Plant Growth. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2018, 66 (20), pp 5117–5124
24. Wanyi Fu, Christina Carbrello, Xiaosong Wu, Wen Zhang*. Visualizing and Quantifying Nanoscale Hydrophobicity and Chemical Distribution of Surface Modified Polyethersulfone (PES) Membranes. Nanoscale. 2017, DOI: 10.1039/C7NR03772D
25. Ahmed Khaled Abdella Ahmed, Cuizhen Sun, Likun Hua, Zhibin Zhang, Yanhao Zhang, Taha Marhaba, Wen Zhang*. Colloidal Properties of Air, Oxygen, and Nitrogen Nanobubbles in Water: Effects of Ionic Strength, Natural Organic Matters, and Surfactants. Environmental Engineering Science. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1089/ees.2017.0377.
26. Wanyi Fu, Likun Hua, Wen Zhang*. Experimental and Modeling Assessment of the Roles of Hydrophobicity and Zeta Potential in Chemically Modified Polyethersulfone Membrane Fouling Kinetics. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 2017. DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.7b02203. The paper and its corresponding TOC graphic were selected as a highlight on the cover of the journal issue: http://pubs.acs.org/toc/iecred/56/33.
27. Wanyi Fu, Wen Zhang*. Hybrid AFM for Nanoscale Physicochemical Characterization: Recent Development and Emerging Applications. Small. 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smll.201603525
28. Yuyang Liu, Wei Jin, Yaping Zhao, Guangshan Zhang, and Wen Zhang*. Enhanced Catalytic Degradation of Methylene Blue by α-Fe2O3/Graphene Oxide via Heterogeneous Photo-Fenton Reactions. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental. DOI: 10.1016/j.apcatb.2017.01.075
29. Kuang, Liyuan, Zhang, Wen. Enhanced Hydrogen Production by Carbon-doped TiO2 Decorated with Reduced Graphene Oxide (rGO) under Visible Light Irradiation. RSC Advances, 2016.6, 2479-2488.
30. Liyuan Kuang; Yaping Zhao; Wen Zhang*, Shijian Ge. Roles of Reactive Oxygen Species and Holes in the Photodegradation of cationic and anionic dyes by TiO2 Under UV Irradiation. Journal of Environmental Engineering (an ASCE journal). 2016 142:2.
31. Hua, Likun, Guo, L., Thakkar, M., Wei, D., Agbakpe, M., Kuang, L., Magpile, M., Chaplin, B.P., Tao, Y., Shuai, D., Zhang, X., Mitra, Somnath, Zhang, Wen*. Effects of anodic oxidation of a substoichiometric titanium dioxide reactive electrochemical membrane on algal cell destabilization and lipid extraction. Bioresource Technology, 2015.203, 112-117.
32. Shijian Ge, Michael Agbakpe, Wen Zhang*, Liyuan Kuang, Heteroaggregation between PEI-coated Magnetic Nanoparticles and Algae: Effect of Particle Size on Algal Harvesting Efficiency. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 2015. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.5b00572.
33. Shijian Ge, Michael Agbakpe, Wen Zhang*, L Kuang, Z Wu, X Wang Recovering Magnetic Fe3O4-ZnO Nanocomposites from Algal Biomass Based on Hydrophobicity Shift under UV Irradiation. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2015, 7 (21), pp 11677–11682
34. Shijan Ge, Michael Agbakpe, Zhiyi Wu, Liyuan Kuang, Wen Zhang*, Xianqin Wang. Influences of Surface Coating, UV Irradiation and Magnetic Field on the Algae Removal Using Magnetite Nanoparticles. Environmental Science and Technology. 2015. 49 (2), pp 1190–1196 DOI: 10.1021/es5049573.
35. Wen Zhang*, Xuezhi Zhang. Adsorption of MS2 on Oxide Nanoparticles Affects Chlorine Disinfection and Solar Inactivation. Water Research. 2014. 69: 59–67
36. Wen Zhang, Yongsheng Chen. Experimental Determination of Conduction and Valence Bands of Semiconductor Nanoparticles using Kelvin Probe Force Microscopy. Journal of Nanoparticle Research. 2013. DOI: 10.1007/s11051-012-1334-2.
37. Wen Zhang, Yang Li, Junfeng Niu, and Yongsheng Chen. Photogeneration of reactive oxygen species on uncoated silver, gold, nickel, and silicon nanoparticles and their antibacterial effects. Langmuir. 2013. DOI: 10.1021/la400500t
38. Yang Li*, Wen Zhang*, Junfeng Niu, and Yongsheng Chen. Mechanism of Photogenerated Reactive Oxygen Species and Correlation with Antibacterial Properties of Engineered Metal Oxide Nanoparticles. ACS Nano, 2012. DOI: 10.1021/nn300934k. (*The first and second authors contributed equally to this work)
39. Wen Zhang, Joseph B Hughes, and Yongsheng Chen. Impacts of hematite nanoparticle exposure on biomechanical and surface electrical properties of E. coli cells. Applied Environmental Microbiology, 2012. DOI: 10.1128/AEM.00193-12.
40. Wen Zhang, John Crittenden, Kungang Li, and Yongsheng Chen. Attachment efficiency of nanoparticle aggregation in aqueous dispersions: modeling and experimental validation. Environmental Science and Technology, 2012, DOI: 10.1021/es203623z.
41. Wen Zhang, Bruce Rittmann, and Yongsheng Chen. Size effects on adsorption kinetics of hematite NPs on E. coli cells. Environmental Science and Technology, 2011, 45 (6): 2172-2178.
42. Wen Zhang, Ying Yao, Nicole Sullivan, Yongsheng Chen. Modeling the primary size effects of citrate-coated silver nanoparticles on their ion release kinetics. Environmental Science and Technology, 2011, 45 (10), 4422–4428.
43. Wen Zhang, Ying Yao, and Yongsheng Chen. Quantifying and Imaging the Morphology and Nanoelectric Properties of Soluble Quantum Dot Nanoparticles Interacting with DNA. Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2011, 115(3):599-606.
44. Wen Zhang, Andrew Stack, and Yongsheng Chen. Interaction force measurement between E. coli cells and nanoparticles immobilized surfaces by using AFM. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2011, 82(2): 316-324.
45. Wen Zhang, Madhavi Kalive, David G Capco, and Yongsheng Chen. Adsorption of hematite nanoparticles onto Caco-2 cells and the cellular impairments: effect of particle size. Nanotechnology 2010, 21: 2–9.
(See the complete list at )